BS Medical Technology in Philippines
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology is a branch of laboratory medicine which deals with the examinations of various specimen e.i blood, body fluids and discharges, by means of physical, chemical, microscopic, and other medical laboratory procedures or technique which will aid the physician in the diagnosis, study and treatment of disease and in the promotion of health in general.
It is a four year degree program that equips students with knowledge and skills in laboratory tests used in the detection, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases. The program consists of general education subjects (such as English and Filipino) and professional subjects (such as Clinical Chemistry and Blood Banking).
WHAT DOES A MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENTIST DO?
A Medical Laboratory Scientist work behind the scenes of patient care in laboratories. They perform microscopic and chemical tests on blood, tissues and other body fluids in order to provide the physicians the information needed in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Is Medical Technology a profession?
Medical Technology is a profession. A graduate of BS in Medical Technology who passed the board examination is called a Registered Medical Technologist (RMT).
Medical technologists analyze samples of body fluids and cells. They study the specimens for bacteria and parasites and identify chemicals contained in them. They perform blood matching for patients who require transfusions and analyze drug levels in a patient’s blood to determine his reaction to treatment. They also study test results and communicate the findings to doctors. They can specialize in a variety of areas, such as microbiology, Immunohematology, immunology or molecular biology.
What skills are required to succeed in this course?
- Basic Mathematical skills – for the use of computational tools
- Analytical Skills on a moderate level – determining what kind of laboratory tests should be obtained and being able to identify microorganisms contained in specimens to comprehensively diagnose certain diseases
- Critical Thinking Skills – using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Collaborative skills – the ability to coordinate with different health professionals in the care of patients
- Communication skills – the ability to effectively relay information both orally and in written form
Most Medical Laboratory Scientists / Medical Technologists work in hospitals, physician’s offices and private laboratories, Medical Lab Scientists / Med Techs also find challenging employment in other areas.
Other career options include:
- sales and marketing
- research and product development
- Supervision/ administration / management
- Public health / infection control
- Technical support
- Quality assurance / Total Quality Improvement
- Forensic Biological Sciences
- Anatomical Pathology technician