You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course.
- can speak, read, write and understand English.
- have enough money to support yourself and and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances.
- are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
- meet the other eligibility requirements.
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before the start of your course. You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
It costs £ 322 to apply for this visa from outside the UK..
You must pay £ 322 per person for any dependants..
How long you can stay
You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
- up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less.
- up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months.
How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you are doing and what study you’ve already completed.
Read the full guidance to find out how long you might be able to stay and what you can and can’t do.