All overseas students are required to obtain a Student Authorization and Visa before going to Canada for studies. Students must also meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. Under normal circumstances, allow at least two months for your visa to be processed.
Visa and Student Authorization Procedure
Submit the completed application kit to the immigration section of the Canadian High commission. Please note that all the documents submitted, must be either original or photocopies notarized and witnessed by a notary public or a magistrate or the Canadian Immigration Officer, and be accompanied by a duplicate copy.
- Completed Student Application form.
- Completed Supplementary Questionnaire for students and postdoctoral researchers.
- Official letter of acceptance from Canadian university, college or Technical Institute.
- Certificate of Acceptance from the province of Quebec (Only if you plan to study in province of Quebec)
- TOEFL/IELTS scores if applicable.
- Passport, valid for at least one year from the planned date of entry to Canada, plus valid passports of any accompanying dependants.
- Bank Draft for the applicable visa processing fees.
Proof of Funds
Every applicant must demonstrate that they have sufficient financial resources available to them to pay tuition fees, maintain him/herself and dependants who go to Canada, and to pay return transportation costs without engaging in employment in Canada. Some educational institutions require that more funds be available; if the local cost of living is higher than average, more money may also be required.
After the Completed application forms along with the documents are submitted;
INTERVIEW – An interview with a Canadian Visa Officer may be required. If this is the case, you will be advised in writing of the time and place for the interview.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION – The Canadian high commission will issue medical instructions. Students and accompanying dependants must pass a medical examination.
If the student and accompanying dependants are found to be in good health and there are no other concerns with the application, the Visa and Student Authorization will be issued.