What is MBBS?
MBBS is an undergraduate, first professional degree in medicine. MBBS courses are designed to train students in all fields of medicine.
The courses include Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Applied Medical Biochemistry, Applied Pharmacology, Human Pathology, Human Microbiology, Otolaryngology, Dermatology, Pediatrics and even General Surgery. Although it varies between countries, a MBBS degree is typically completed in 4 and a half years.
What is MD?
MD is a Masters/Postgraduate degree. A candidate becomes eligible for MD only after successfully completing a MBBS degree. Some countries consider a MD degree a professional doctorate for surgeons and physicians (i.e U.S.A and, Phillipines). Others, consider it a research degree equal in value to a Ph. D.
MD specializations include pediatrics, gynecology, obstetrics, ophthalmology, dentistry and the like. An MD is expected to gradually make the student a specialist in the Medical branch of choice. MD degrees are typically completed in 2 years. Various universities and colleges across the world mandate a submission of a dissertation and thesis as a program requirement.
The Philippines has become the favorite foreign destination for Indian students for the past few years. Learning is the Philippines is much easier and cost effective for normal middle-class Indian students. Studying MD in the Philippines is much different from studying medicine in India.
Some of the major differences between studying MBBS in India and studying MD in the Philippines are listed below as follows
- The major difference is the degree offered by these two countries. Indian medical colleges award MBBS degree whereas medical colleges in the Philippines offer MD degree.
- The educational approach in the Philippines is mostly practical based learning. Their question patterns are objective type unlike in India.
- The donation given in private Indian medical colleges will exceed the total cost of education in the Philippines including the accommodation.
- There are no entrance exams in the Philippines medical colleges like in India. Students can directly apply with the medical college of their own choice.
- Both in India and in the Philippines most of the medical colleges are owned and managed by some private organizations.
- The course duration in India is nearly 6 years. But in Philippines medical colleges the course duration will be 4.5 years.
- Their education pattern is 10+4 they have to complete any B.s degree before applying to medical colleges. In India, the educational pattern is 10+2 pattern. No B.s degree is required.
Hence studying medical courses in both countries has their own pros and cons. Some students who cannot afford to study medicine can apply to foreign countries like the Philippines. Also, this country has proven its best in producing quality doctors through its education.