Study in Singapore
According to legend Singapore was founded centuries ago when a prince from Sumatra landed on the island and saw a lion. He took it as a good omen and founded a city called Singapura, which means lion city. The legend may or may not be true. In fact the name Singapura was not recorded until the 16th century and Singapore was really only a trading post with a small population not a city.
Modern Singapore was founded in 1819 by Sir Stamford Raffles (1781-1826). Raffles became a clerk for the British East India Company in 1795. He rose rapidly in the company. In 1805 he was sent to Penang and in 1811 he was made Lieutenant Governor of Java.
In 1818 Raffles was made governor of Bencoolen on the island of Sumatra. Raffles believed the British should establish a base on the Straits of Melaka and in 1819 he landed on the island of Singapore. The island consisted of swamps and jungle with a small population but Raffles realized it could be made into a useful port.
Why Choose to Study in Singapore?
- Excellent education system
- No language barrier - English spoken widely
- Clean, green and safe country
- Multicultural Society
- A degree from Singapore is valued by employers globally
- A Leading Global Business Hub
List of universities & Colleges
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technology University
- Singapore Management University
- SIM University
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
- Arts and Social Service
- Business and Accountancy
- Design and Environment
- Architecture and
- Diploma Courses